Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Tasty Tuesday--Fried Okra

I've always wanted to do this, so when I picked up some fresh okra from the Charleston Farmer's Market this weekend, I decided to take the plunge and give it a try.

It was fabulous! I used a Paula Deen recipe as a guide, but I didn't follow it entirely. This was my first time really frying something, so I needed to know the basics. I would make this again, however, it took a few days for my house to stop smelling like a cast-iron skillet! Totally worth it. I served the okra with a yummy baked chicken (recipe coming soon), and sauteed baby patty-pan squash, also picked up from the Farmer's Market.

Fried Okra
Some of the pieces look a little burnt, but tasted delicious!

Oil for frying 
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp. House seasoning (recipe follows)
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 lbs. fresh okra, sliced
1/2 cup buttermilk

Fill a cast-iron skillet with oil no more than half-way up the sides. Heat oil to 350 degrees. Combine cornmeal, flour, House seasoning, and cayenne pepper. Dip okra in buttermilk, then dredge in cornmeal mixture, coating well. Carefully add okra to the hot oil and cook until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

*I used about 1 pound of okra, which was plenty for Andy and me to have 2 servings. I didn't change any of the other measurements, just had extra cornmeal mixture.

Also didn't have buttermilk, so I substituted using 1 Tbsp. vinegar (or lemon juice) plus milk to equal one cup (use a measuring cup). Let stand for 5 minutes.

House Seasoning
Keep this in a container on the counter. I use it on just about everything. It's really good on fish and chicken.
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder

Here's the whole meal!

1 comment: